Sunday 23 June 2013

Complex Problems On Set and Solutions: L04.

For unit L04: I have to outline the complex problems which I encountered on set and the variables I would use in future to combat the problems.

For the first scene I originally wanted a tracking shot, without a tripod I filmed a tracking shot which during the editing process looked shaky and did not achieve the required effect. To combat this during the editing process, I cut from a wide shot to a medium shot and finally to a close up shot of Steve as he entered the house. However in future to film a tracking shot I would use a steadycam or shoulder rig as I did not have the availability of a dolly track, using a rig or steadycam would ensure that I could capture a steady, smooth tracking shot.

The second complex issue was that on set I experienced lighting issues within the corridor, as Steve entered the house there was a lack of light exposure. This was not a huge issue as the darkness created a sense of mystery which was effective in creating tension, however a future recommendation would be to use a LED light supply or beam lights to give a lot more light exposure to the scene.

Importantly another complex issue was the shadow which was frequently in shot during scene 2, the light which came through the curtains ensured that shadows were casted on the wall and bed, in future I will ensure that the curtains are closed and there are no shadows being reflected onto surfaces or walls. A future recommendation for this type of scene, I will ensure that the lighting is correct in the room. I re-shot these scenes later on in a different location in which the shadow and lighting was not an issue, I ensured that there was not lots of direct sunlight coming in.

I also experienced an issue with the tracking shot of Steve as he walked through the city, this was filmed as I walked backwards and was challenging to ensure that it was steady, in future I would of tried to film with a dolly track or use a motorized vehicle controlled by someone else to ensure the track was smooth and steady.

A complex issue originally that I experienced was ensuring my actors / actresses did not look into the lens, this happened during one or two scenes and I had to re-film these scenes. In future I would ensure that my artist were more aware of the importance of not looking into the lens.

Another complex issue was finding a character that looked old enough to play Abbie's Dad, I asked Abbie's real father however due to his busy schedule this was not possible. I cast Richard Orange but during the edit I was notified that he did not look old enough and this needed to be changed,despite changing this again to Adam Mitulinski I still experienced the same issue, in future I would have ensured that I had an old enough character before I shot any scenes.

The final issue was shooting the scene in the classroom of Steve having a meditation, originally I filmed this using a zoom function but after being told this was not good, I re-shot this scene using a wide shot, medium shot and then close up shot, however in future I could of used a track or chair to achieve the zoom effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment