Monday 11 March 2013

The end of the world - Script.

Ext. Town Hall and center - London - day
A crowd gathers; cheering as a procession passes.
Surveying the crowd for opportunities; two well dressed men
loiter near the church door. CASTOR, 30s, is in navy
overalls. In contrast; on CALVIN hangs a tailored suit.

Homing in with hawk-like vision, CASTOR spots an open purse.

He gestures subtly to CALVIN; who’s attention is elsewhere.

CALVIN is busy listening to a conversation behind the ajar

church door. Forgetting the purse; Calvin turns to listen.

CHARACTERS A AND B (O.S)

Some dialogue here revealing that a
wedding is starting.

The two scoundrels exchange looks. Surreptitiously, they

edge in towards the celebration and champagne showers.

CALVIN:
What a beautiful wedding.

CASTOR:
I left my Overcoat and hat with the doorman, I felt it was customary.
   
 CALVIN:
(CASTOR again tries to get CALVIN'S attention as CALVIN is nonchalant.)
Nonsense we are bonding very well with the clientele.

CALVIN:
The style of garments is superb, black slacks and accentuating off white pin stripes, I am rather surprised at the talent on display. Do you think we should perhaps go somewhere rather more appropriate for us?

CASTOR:
No Next is a trip to the the guest room, our trip will not be in vain. We must learn more about my ex wife.

CALVIN:
You want to uncover the truth you have got to let her go!

CASTOR:
[Castor looks at him blankly] I can't do that.

CALVIN:
You have to let her go!

CASTOR:
[pause] I can't, I can't!

CALVIN:
Then you will never be free.
We then are introduced to two new characters, Bella is dressed in scarlet red and Valencia dressed in a candy apple red dress.
Bella 20 and Valencia 25 wait anxiously at the bar.

BELLA:
(Curious and with a catlike playfulness, Bella scans the room for something to play with, as she glances she spots Calvin)
'When did he get all confident'?

VALENCIA:
[BELLA has asked the ceremony about CASTOR'S activities before his appearance] He has never looked better and you cannot stand it! Keep telling yourself that your a diva and that you have moved on from him but you cannot fool me.

Surveying the area CALVIN and Castor catch a glimpse of the banquet and move on into the next room.

Int - guest room banquet - day

CASTOR:
[Castor has asked the Calvin about his preferred drink]I am having sofa and ice, please, thanks.

CALVIN:
Oh. You don't indulge in alcohol? I'm surprised. Isn't it common for men in your profession to imbibe?

CASTOR:
[CASTOR looks deeply at CALVIN, his previous addiction to alcohol reminds of the pain]Common enough. And... in yours?

CALVIN:
Er... I'm sorry?

CASTOR:
Your profession, Doctor, psychiatry and Scientology.

CALVIN:
Yes?

CASTOR:
I always heard it was overrun with boozers and drunks. 

CALVIN:
News to me.

 CASTOR:
[examines CALVIN'S glass] What's that, ice tea in your glass there?

CALVIN:
[laughs, despite himself]Excellent retort there my friend, you obviously have good defense mechanisms, perhaps this has come from a life of isolation.

CASTOR:
[gets up and walks off into the distance, staring up into the sky he dazes into a dream like state]
As CASTOR looks up into the sky he remembers the conversation with CALVIN and instantly thinks of his job at the ailment plant and his vices.

Int - Ailment Plant -  Evening

CASTOR is an ex navy man who served overseas and began life working in an ailment plant.
Revealing the details behind how they met we learn that CASTOR is struggling to adjust to post war society and in meeting CALVIN the leader of a religious movement, CALVIN finds something special in CASTOR who agrees to travel with him around the world.

We learn previous to this CASTOR becomes a painter at a local department store, but is soon fired for stealing and harassing the customers.

CALVIN is busy listening to a conversation behind the ajar
door of the office. Forgetting that people are nearby; Calvin turns to listen. As he looks into the room he see Dr Sawyer a man in his 30's wearing a lab coat.

DR SAWYER:
You served overseas before, huh?

CASTOR:
I have not done much of a stretch, Doc. For all you know, I am a paper pusher back home.

DR SAWYER:
No, you are not. - Since the schoolyard, you have never walked away from a physical conflict. No, no, not because you enjoyed it, but because your addiction got the better of you.

CASTOR:
I was not raised to run, Doc.

DR SAWYER:
Ah, yes. Raised. And who raised you, CASTOR?

CASTOR:
I was raised by the night sir.

DR SAWYER:
[Dr. SAWYER laughs to himself] Very impressive answer CASTOR, your smarter than you look. Men like you are my specialty, you know. Men of violence.

CASTOR:
[Looks over angrily at DR SAWYER]What was meant by that sir?

DR SAWYER:
You're as violent as they come. I know this, because I'm as violent as they come. If the constraints of society were lifted, and I was all that stood between you and a meal, you would crack my skull with a rock and eat my meaty parts. Wouldn't you?
CASTOR:
[Runs to attack DR SAWYER] You think you know me and can control me, I am going to leave this island.

DR SAWYER:
[Attacked by CASTOR, DR SAWYER winces in pain, several guards overhear the attack and run after CASTOR] Haven't you heard a word I've said? The only way off the island is the ferry, and I control it. You'll never leave here.

CASTOR drunk and confused runs away from the farm and is dazed and confused with no real knowledge of how to escape.

After CASTOR'S escape he is left without shelter and stows away on a nearby boat that he comes across to spend the night, the Boat is owned by his future friend CALVIN. CALVIN discovers 

CASTOR tucked away in the boat's cabin and agrees to help him get his life back on track with therapy and stop his addiction to drugs and alcohol.

As CASTOR'S gains full consciousness he awakes in an open room with CALVIN sat opposite him.

INT - HMS wonder - Night

CASTOR:
What do you do sir?

CALVIN:
I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man a hopelessly impertinent man like you.

CASTOR:
You know, this island makes me wonder.

CALVIN:
What is that my friend?

CASTOR:
Which would be worse - to live as a monster? Or to die as a good man?

CALVIN:
With my help you will understand your true nature.

CASTOR:
Well, I'm sorry if I got out of hand.
             
CALVIN:
Don't apologize. You're a rascal.

CASTOR:
[laughs] (Mixing up ailments and concocting new drinks he hands CALVIN a cup) This is for you.
CALVIN:
And as a scientist and a aficionado, I have no idea
the contents of this wonderful concoction what is it?

CASTOR:
Secrets.

CALVIN:
I like your wisdom, please stay and partake in my Ceremonies, we would be honored to have you stay. Leave all your worries behind, they will still be there when you
return my friend.

CASTOR:
[Looks at CALVIN and smiles] Sounds like we will have a wonderful time.
CASTOR and CALVIN enter another room and begin a sequence of questions called processing.
INT: SWAN STATION - EVENING

CALVIN begins an exercise with CASTOR called thought provoking, a  flurry of disturbing psychological questioning aimed to conquering CASTOR'S past worries and to help him lose the traits that worry him.

CASTOR reveals that his father has passed away, he had greatly missed his support and wishes that he had said many things to his father before he died, his mother is institutionalized, he was self indulgent and committed a sin by partaking in an incestuous relationship with his aunt, and he abandoned the love of his life, a young girl named Bella who wrote to him while he was at sea.
CASTOR is enthralled by CALVIN, who doesn't flinch from his abject revelations, and CALVIN sees a huge relationship developing between the pair.
CALVIN:
Are you thoughtless in your remarks?

CASTOR:
No.

CALVIN:
Is your life a struggle?

CASTOR:
No.

CALVIN:
Is your behavior erratic?

CASTOR:
No.

CALVIN:
Are you unpredictable?

CASTOR:
[Coughs, laughs and is making strange noises]

CALVIN:
I believe your fear of imprisonment is from long ago, you have moved forward a great deal since then.

CASTOR:
[Exits with CALVIN towards the map room where they will navigate their journey away from the island]
CASTOR studies the map with CALVIN and they decide to travel with CALVIN'S family and spread the teachings of their new found religious movements along the West Coast.

CASTOR'S violent and erratic behavior has not improved, nor has his alcoholism and tendency to concoct these bizarre potions.

CASTOR is sat at a dinner party in New York with CALVIN and a procession of people, a middle aged man stand at the bar looking puzzled about the meetings.CALVIN'S explains his methods and statements,the powerful effects that the 'cause' can offer. Curious of the effects the man at the bar listens in to the briefing. The man states that CALVIN'S words are all lies and he has no proof of any of the effects.

CASTOR is over protective of Calvin's new movement and keen to impress CALVIN, disguising himself in order to be surreptitious he pursues the man to his Motel and threatens him, then attacks him and says that the Movement is the best thing that ever happened to him, some people are just not willing to open themselves up to new ideas. CASTOR travels back to HMS wonder and congregates with CALVIN.

INT: THE FLAME - CABIN OF HMS WONDER - DAY
CALVIN and his family have congregated in the main port and discuss CALVIN'S behavior and deem it as erratic and perhaps not acceptable for the movement.

CALVIN'S wife KRISTEN in her late 40's she is dressed in velvet red stands against the dinner table and approaches CALVIN to talk to him. KRISTEN is angry that she was not informed of CASTOR'S actions and wants him to leave the movement.
  
 KRISTEN:
He is dangerous CALVIN and he will be the end of us if he does not leave, he is past reform and relies to much on alcohol.
  
 CALVIN:
If we do not help him and meet his needs, then are we not also failing him, life at times requires us to make sacrifice.
    
KRISTEN:
He is past help, maybe he is insane, please just listen to me, we have to question how he has 
contributed to the movement.

KRISTEN secretly meets CASTOR and gives him the ultimatum that he must change and prove that he will reform otherwise he has no place on the ship and must learn how to change in the real world.
CALVIN is arrested for practicing and preaching without proper qualifications, after one of his former hostesses has a change of heart, and CASTOR is also arrested for assaulting the police officers, again proving that he has not dealt with how to better himself, this creates tension between the two characters and leaves CALVIN questioning their friendship.

In the jail cell adjacent to CALVIN, CASTOR smashes the toilet and batters himself against the bars and his bunk, then threatens inmates while CALVIN tries to calm him. CASTOR thinks back to the man on board the cabin who questioned CALVIN'S nature, CASTOR then becomes angry and in a tirade questions everything that CALVIN has taught him, and accuses him of being a fake.

The two men trade insults until CALVIN turns his back. They reconcile upon their release, CASTOR ask for his forgiveness and that he will partake in more exercises to understand the real ideas behind the movement. After much discussion CASTOR grows frustrated as he wants a quick fix and tires from the lack of real results, he agrees however to help CALVIN with his final request, travel to Australia to promote his new book, 'The Nighthawk'.

CASTOR helps CALVIN promote the book and after the successful profit of the book, CASTOR agrees to travel to New South Wales to partake in one last test to see if he is free to leave the team.

CALVIN:
[Looks closely at CASTOR] 
You must gain my trust and this simple test is to prove how much that you believe in me and my operation,I trusted you and despite how all my family felt I still wanted to help you.
As CALVIN and CASTOR begin their final friendship test, they survey all the landscapes for a possible area to meet. CALVIN decides on the arid open landscape of the Nevada Desert.

EXT: LOS ANGELES - DAY
CALVIN proposes that trust is fundamental to relationships and will help them regain trust.
CALVIN:
Are you ready to prove to me that you can face the world again? Come with me to Bayonne.

CASTOR:
[Looks puzzled but notices the serious look on CALVIN'S face] In this life it is not what you deserve it's what you take, I will come with you if it means helping me.[CASTOR jumps into CALVIN'S car and they drive of into the sunset]

NARRATOR:
And there is the account of the life of two men, and the lifesaving encounter that he experienced. There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows?
Surveying the crowd for opportunities; CASTOR and CALVIN drive through the open wasteland into the heart of the desert.  

EXT: Nevada desert - day

CALVIN:
[Speaking to a group of followers, he then turns to CASTOR]I will tell you the greatest thing in my life CASTOR, I learnt to let go of some things that meant a lot to me, can you learn to let go of things too?

CASTOR:
I'm really nervous that you're gonna hate me soon. You're gonna find stuff out about me and you're gonna hate me. I have been many things in my life, perhaps I have never dealt with truly letting go.

CALVIN:
[Looks concerned towards CASTOR]
Let me tell you something, this is not an easy job. I am called on to represent my cause, people often disagree, it's bad news. And it stinks. But this is my job and I love it. Because I want to do well - in this life and in this world, I want to do well. And I want to help people. And I might get twenty bad calls a day. But one time I can help people and make a save - And as we move through this life we should try and do good. Do good... And if we can do that, and not hurt anyone else, well... then..

CASTOR:
How is it that you can help me now?

CALVIN:
Your a good person and I won't let you just walk out on me, you want to be with the group, the cause then you must trust in me. [CALVIN points an area in the distance and During the exercise,CASTOR is supposed to ride a motorcycle at high speed through the desert towards an object in the distance and then return]

CASTOR:
I think sometimes people need to be forgiven and sometimes they need a little help, thanks for showing me the true nature of myself, I must go and be free to live my own life now. [CALVIN points to an area in the desert]

CASTOR decides to drive out of the desert and leave the movement, abandoning CALVIN. He goes home to rekindle his relationship with BELLA, but learns from her mother that she has married and started a family in ALABAMA in the seven years since he last saw her. CALVIN is sad that CASTOR has left him but pleased that he can live life on his own.

CASTOR thinks about how to rekindle his relationship with BELLA. Surveying her neighborhood he drives by her house. TAYLOR a middle aged lady is in the garden watering the flowers.

EXT: Alabama - day

CASTOR:
(CASTOR looks anxious as he approaches TAYLOR)Hey is Bella around, I presume you are her Mother?

TAYLOR:
You have not visited for years! I am afraid that BELLA no longer lives here, she waited for you for so long and you threw it away.

CASTOR:
I'm sorry, I just wanted one more chance at love, I hate myself for the way I was, I went away to travel and find myself but I realize that I was nothing without BELLA.

TAYLOR:
Sorry to hear that, BELLA lives in Washington now she is remarried and trying to create a new life.

CASTOR:
[Looks dissapointed as he leaves] Thank you for keeping me in the loop.
CASTOR leaves disappointed and angry at BELLA, he believes that he gave up his life for her, he questions her commitment to him and wishes that he could have it all back. Deciding to forget about her he travels to New York to live a new life.

While sleeping in a movie theater, CASTOR has a "vision" of calvin, who calls him by telephone, having mysteriously located him. CALVIN informs CASTOR that he is now residing in LONDON and that CASTOR must join him as soon as possible.

Taking the dream literally, CASTOR travels across the Atlantic to reunite with CALVIN. When he arrives, CALVIN seems happy to see him but KRISTEN tells him that CASTOR has no intention of improving his life and that he should no longer be involved in "The Movement".
CALVIN finally realizes that his wife is correct and that CASTOR must venture out to the world and take his own path. He gives CASTOR an ultimatum: stay with "THE MOVEMENT" and devote himself to it for the rest of his life or leave and never come back.
CASTOR tries to convince CALVIN to come and travel around LONDON with him and build a friendship in that way.
CALVIN agrees and CASTOR and CALVIN overlook the street trying to find a taxi to the city. In the TAXI they survey a huge congregation and it reminds them of the experience they had in the church.
              
 THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment